Certificate in Management Essentials
Position yourself–and your company–for success
The online Certificate in Management Essentials covers the basic skills every manager needs to succeed. This intensive program teaches real-world skills, techniques, and processes that can be applied immediately in any supervisory situation.
CME will help you to:
- Increase your opportunity to break into or advance in your management career
- Understand yourself as a leader and grow personally and professionally
- Gain the insight needed to effectively and efficiently facilitate people and processes within any organization
- Set yourself apart from the competition
Today’s managerial job market has created an environment where employers hire those who have performed well at their jobs, but may lack the necessary skills required to manage effectively. Organizations wanting to retain their top performers should make developing managerial skill sets a top priority.
CME will help your organization:
- Increase the knowledge base of existing managers or provide development for promising non-managerial employees
- Develop an effective performance management process aligning the individual’s efforts with your organization’s goals
- Facilitate and support the employee, providing tools to help identify gaps, create a learning plan, and review progress
- Retain top performers
- Address the individual’s needs and reinforce themes and core competencies required by the organization
Choose courses based on your learning needs & skills gaps
This 10 course, competency-based certificate is designed to identify the individual’s skill gaps through practical and relevant learning. The program consists of six (6) required courses and includes a Management Essentials Competency Assessment (MECA). Results of the assessment can assist in the selection of electives and provides a benchmark that can be re-tested to measure progress at the end of the program. Hogan Assessments are also included in Leading from Within (HPI - Hogan Personality Inventory) and Managing Challenging Behaviours (HDS - Hogan Development Survey). All three assessments will raise your level of self-awareness by highlighting specific areas of strengths and weaknesses and offer suggestions to help you guide your career and become a better manager.
Who Should Enrol
- New or emerging managers who want to improve their skills quickly and apply them immediately
- Recent university or college graduates looking for supervisory or management positions
- Anyone anticipating or aspiring to management
Fees and Schedule
The program can be taken one course at a time, at a cost of $545 per course (add $50 for CCME 1000 & 1004 which includes a Hogan Assessment fee); students have six weeks to complete each course. Students can also register into the entire certificate, at a cost of $5,550 for all ten courses.
The Certificate in Management Essentials program design is aligned to Warrenfeltz* competencies framework that suggested a four-domain core competency framework:
(a) Intrapersonal skills;
(b) Interpersonal skills;
(c) Tactical managerial skills; and
(d) Leadership skills.
Each course has been designed to fall into one of each of the four domains and every course has three core competencies that the learner can expect to develop by taking the course.
*Warrenfeltz, R. B. (1995, May). An executive-level validation of the Borman and Brush taxonomy. Paper presented at the 10th Annual Conference of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Orlando, FL.
For those employees that only require help in certain areas, all courses are available as stand-alone choices as well. The Management Essentials Competency Assessment tool is also available through each individual course.